Registering for the class website is fairly simple. It is 2015. We should be getting good at this. And you probably sign up for some web service every week. So this should be pretty painless. That said, there are a few details that we need for you to tend to when you register. Some of these details are important to make some fancy behind-the-scenes things play nice. We are trusting that you are able to follow these simple directions and can get this complete within a few days of the first class.
To begin the process, click the “Register” button in the top-left corner.
This will take you to a registration page. Please follow these guidelines when you fill out these fields:
- Account Details
- Use the same username you have for your school login. That is typically your first initial and your last name. You don’t need @mica.edu or anything like that.
- Email Address
- Use your school email address.
- You should use the same email address when you set up your Creative Process Journal
- Make a good password. Here are some tips, if you need it. Seriously, there are a lot of jerks out there who spend their time walking about the internet and trying the locks on every WordPress door they can find. Don’t let one of these guys hack your account and spam up our class site.
- Profile Details (the fun stuff)
- Please use your real full (first and last) name. That’s the purpose of this field, you know.
- Class Role
- Pick the option from the drop down menu that matches your role in this class. This should be obvious. If you choose a “Faculty” role, we will straight put you to work.
- CPJ Link
- Paste in the full link to your Creative Process Journal. This includes that “http://” bit typically in a URL.
- What if I don’t have a CPJ yet? Just type in “TBD” and you can modify it later. (Explained below.)
- Class Year
- Again, drop down, obvious.
- There is no drop down here, because we have so many different majors and Grad programs represented in this class.
- Type in the name of your major/program. Type out the full name. Spell it correctly.
- If you have a concentration, insert a comma and then add that in too.
- Relevant Interests
- List a few interests that you have that are related to this class, separated by a comma. These can be broad, hyper-focused, wild, or fascinatingly banal. Short phrases are best.
- These could be areas that you want to explore as part of your research, but no one is going to hold you to something you typed in the first week of class.
- Relevant Experience
- List a few skills or experiences you have that may be relevant to the class, separated by a comma. What programs do you know? What craft skillz you got? Have you taken any related classes?
- If you know how to do plumbing, don’t list that. Not because it isn’t relevant, you just should ever let anyone know you have that skill. Unless you want to be a plumber.
Okay, so after you submit the registration form you’ll need to go to your email and get the activation link.
Log in with the username and password you just created.
The last thing you need to do is set your profile photo. This photo is important to have a nice representative image for each person, so that we can all mtach names and projects to faces and people.
If you look in the top-right corner, you’ll see is says “Howdy” to you and has a spot for a profile photo. It is probably just a place-holder image at this point. There are two exceptions to this:
- Your head is actually a flat white circle sitting atop of your gumdrop shoulders, thereby making this image an accurate representation of you.
- You have a Gravatar image of yourself already linked to your school email address.
- If that is the case and you are happy with that image, you needn’t change it.
- If you want to replace the Gravatar image, just continue on with these steps with everybody else.
Click the link in the top-right corner, and choose “Edit My Profile” in the drop down.
On this page, you can make any adjustments to your profile, such as updating your CPJ link. Just remember to click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the page.
You’ll also see in the upper area of the page there is a link to “Change Profile Photo.” Click it!
You can drag and drop a file from your computer, or click “Select Your File” and navigate to the image. You cannot submit a link or drag directly from another web page; it must be uploaded from your computer.
If you are on a mobile device with a camera, you can take a photo, but don’t give us some horrible selfie. This isn’t Myspace for Chrissake; have a little self respect.
Once you’ve uploaded your image, you can zoom and crop it to look real nice.
Once you are all set, click “Crop Image.” Confirm everything is correct, then click “People” in the main menu bar up top to see how the rest of the world sees your profile.
Oh yeah. Looking good!
Notice that if you click on your image, it will take you to your CPJ. The same it true for all of your classmates. This is a great way to explore what everyone else is up to. Remember that reviewing and commenting on your classmates CPJs is a standing assignment.
Notice that if you click on your name it takes you back to your profile. If you click on one of your classmate’s names it will take you to her/his profile. It is a good way to get to know everyone in the class.
When looking at profiles, many of the fields are clickable and will take you to a list of classmate with the same entries. Its a nice way to find common interests. You can also send people messages and use the site a platform for exchange. Try it out!